Wimbledon Windmill was built in 1817, and to celebrate this Bicentenary year entry will be free for our normal summer weekend opening. We invite all, whether old friends or new visitors, to come and learn more about our much-loved Windmill landmark.
For school and other group organised visits there will still be a modest charge - see Visitor Info
A programme of events for the year is also being arranged. Go to the Events page to see the dates.
No visit to Wimbledon Common is complete without also calling in at the Windmill Museum. There is interest for all ages, children and adults alike. And if you don't have time for the full tour, visit the shop for postcards, books, souvenirs and even Wombles!
The Windmill has been a distinctive landmark since it was built in 1817 to serve the local community. However it only operated until 1864, when the machinery was removed and it was converted to residential accommodation. In 1976 the first floor was opened as a museum, and this was extended to the whole building in 1998.
In 2015 one of the sails fell from the windshaft, fortunately without much damage, and it was decided that complete renovation was required. With the aid of a Heritage Lottery Fund Grant and contributions from the Wimbledon and Putney Commons Conservators and other local benefactors, the work was completed in November, 2016.
The museum also has a display of Scouting memorabilia, commemorating the writing of part of 'Scouting for Boys' by Robert Baden-Powell in the Mill House in 1908.
The museum is administered by a charitable trust and run entirely by volunteers, which allows admission charges to be kept down. It is open on summer weekends only, but school parties and group visits can be arranged at other times.
Explore the tabs above for more information, or use the quick links below:
Wimbledon Windmill Museum CIO is a Registered Charity, No. 1162544
After a sail fell from the windshaft in August 2015, the museum Trustees worked with the owners of the mill, Wimbledon and Putney Commons Conservators, to obtain external funding for the repairs, which included necessary work on the tower and roof as well as the sails. The total project cost was budgeted at £138,000.
In March 2016 we were pleased to announce that an HLF grant of £100,000 had been approved for the project. Together with several generous donations from the local community and a commitment from the Conservators to use some of their own funds, the project has proceeded as planned and the sails are fully restored.
Cooperation with the millwrights allowed the museum to remain open throughout the building work and visitors were able to enjoy the exhibits as usual.
The fully restored sails were installed on 9th November, and we look forward to running them occasionally on suitably windy days.