A major restoration took place in 1893 which resulted in a number of changes to the building. The cap was reduced in height and the tower made taller, to retain the same overall height of the mill. The post supporting the cap was removed and an iron bearing was fitted to the top of the tower so that the cap could continue to turn with the wind.
The mill continued to be used as accommodation, laterly for the Commons Rangers, and in 1975 further repairs were carried out and the first floor was converted into a museum. A grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund in 1999 enabled the sails to be restored to working order and the museum to be extended to the ground floor.