Wimbledon and Putney Commons comprise approximately 460 hectares or 1140 acres of open land with heath, woodland, streams and ponds. It is not a park and is kept in as natural a state as possible, so although there are many footpaths, cycle paths and horse rides, be aware that there are also bogs, ditches and brambles. There is also a golf course on part of the Commons, believed to be the longest continually played course in England. The London Scottish Golf Club was officially formed in 1865, golf having been played informally for some time before that date.
Because of the importance of its wildlife Wimbledon Common is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a European Special Conservation Area.
For more about the Commons see the Information Centre or visit www.wpcc.org.uk